OPENING HOURS: MON–THUR 8am–5pm | FRI 8am–7pm | SAT 8am–5pm | SUN 8am–3pm

About Us | Our History

We believe West Tytherley Village Shop to be the third oldest continually trading community village shop in all England!

There has been a village shop in West Tytherley for well over 100 years. Originally located at The Old Post Office it consisted of a grocery, a bakery and the Post Office. For many years, from at least 1927 until 1981, it was run by the Budden family who also operated the village bus service from their yard opposite the Old Post Office.

In 1981 the village shop was taken over by Richard and Pat Button who ran it until 1987, followed by Stuart and Lynn Carruthers and then, in 1994, a group of village volunteers. Further steps were taken to secure the future of the shop as a community business by forming an action group.

In January 1995 the business was registered as The West Tytherley Village Store Association Limited under the provisions of The industrial and Provident Societies Act 1965. After the initial three month “grace” period at The Old Post Office the village shop temporarily relocated to part of Mike Fry’s showroom in the village until a portakabin was installed adjacent to the Village Hall from where the shop traded. A lease was signed with Test Valley Borough Council that same year for the land that the shop currently occupies and fundraising began for the construction of the new building. Membership of the Association was offered with the opportunity to invest through bonds which many villagers took up, with many more kindly giving donations and supporting fundraising. Two years later, in 1997, the building was completed and the shop moved into it’s current site near Beale’s Court.